The Developer is responsible for the ongoing development and maintenance of a variety of systems used by the University, including student administration systems and web-based systems. The incumbent will work with internal clients to capture system requirements, implement new software or change existing software, work on data integration projects, and collaborate with clients to test and fine-tune the software. The incumbent will provide 2nd line technical support to users across the University.
Reports to: Manager, Applications and Development
• Maintain and ensure productive relationships with relevant end users in order to understand business needs.
• Develop and document user stories and acceptance criteria.
• Participate in the design process for new software, new functionalities, and integration systems.
• Develop new functionality for existing systems, and develop new systems.
• Provide expertise in database development including schema design and writing SQL queries.
• Develop system integration modules and scripts.
• Provide 2nd line support by diagnosing issues with existing systems and recommending and implementing solutions.
• Participate in the system testing and user acceptance testing processes.
• Participate in Scrum meetings.
Key Selection Criteria
1. Bachelor degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, or related discipline.
2. At least three years of experience in software development including successfully completing software development projects.
3. Demonstrated experience in all phases of software development including requirements gathering, system design, implementation, testing, and deployment.
4. Experience in the development of web applications and/or desktop applications.
5. Experience with various languages and frameworks (for example PHP, C#, .NET, Java.)
6. Experience in working with the Scrum or Kanban framework preferred. Prior training in Agile methodologies is desirable.
7. Ability to work as part of a team, and contribute to and take responsibility for the team’s collective outcomes.
8. Ability to be flexible, in a high pressure environment with changing priorities.
9. Ability to display appropriate behaviours in line with the position, as per the RMIT Behavioural Capability Framework (Connectedness, Commitment to Excellence – Improve and Simplify; Imagination and Innovation; Impact; Inclusion; Agility).
English is the language of teaching and communication at our client. For this role, the minimum requirement is IELTS with a score of at least 6.0 (or equivalent as outlined in the Recruitment and Selection Guidelines).