Senior Backend Software Engineers – Platform Technology (multiple positions)
10 years ago, Our Client changed the world with a groundbreaking police body camera and cloud platform that would change how the police captured and managed video evidence and public interactions. Today, is the premier digital evidence management solution in law enforcement. With over 30 petabytes of data, and growing at 3 petabytes per month, this data represents an important part of the law enforcement process.
Our Platform Technology Squad is the bridge that makes all of this happen. This team is responsible for delivering our core microservice platform architecture and design, data systems and patterns (Kafka, NoSQL), implementing core technologies such as Kubernetes, and solving hard problems around data storage and management for the massive volume of video evidence and metadata we have under control.
This team is building scalable data storage systems that enable us to quickly share information with police agencies across the world leads to better policing, faster response times, and better public safety. To give back to the community, Calmette squad also makes numerous open source contributions to give back to the community.
You are a talented backend software engineer who enjoys building flexible, reliable, and scalable services. You think about all aspects of our lifecycle – such as autoscaling expensive GPU clusters during high demand and pulling them back when the demand is low. You love making other engineers faster, and take the extra time to deliver a solid engineering platform that is loved by your peers.
You are also detail-oriented, looking at problems from different directions to deliver the best technical solutions. You also love video streaming and playback, and find it an interesting challenge.
Your mission: Leverage advanced technology, AI, and computer vision to change the way policing is done.
- Degree in Computer Science, Physics, Mathematics, AI, Electrical Engineering, or related field.
- 3+ years of industry experience
- Strong backend service experience, in a modern backend language such as Java, Go, C#, or similar.
- You love working on technology that empowers others to do their best work
- You write well-tetsted code with good unit tests
- For senior roles, you enjoy growing and mentoring other engineers.
- Experience with Video Streaming / RTSP a plus, however we do offer training.
- You have made tough technical decisions based on requirements, trade-offs, and user experience.
- You are comfortable with a lot of autonomy.
- Background in Data Science, AI, or distributed systems is a plus
Core Technologies Used
- Golang and Scala based Microservices
- Leverage powerful service frameworks such as Finagle and LinkerD
- Opentracing, Jaeger
- Kafka, Cassandra
- OpenCV, GStreamer, FFMPEG, and more
- WebRTC, RTSP, HLS, Mpeg-DASH Support.
- Tensorflow and Caffe2 AI frameworks
- Kubernetes, Docker, and GPU solutions for Docker (NVidia)
- High performance messaging using Protobuf
Compensations and Benefits
- An awesome office/working environment with the latest technologies and incredible, experienced Researchers and Engineers.
- Competitive salary and benefits including a great medical insurance plan for you and your family
- Free lunch, gym, phone stipend, parking
- Fun team activities and outings
- Flexible working hours
- Attend technical conferences overseas
- Opportunities for training and rotations in the US
- Opportunities to ride along with real US police officers in real life situations, see them use technology, and get inspired