The Senior Developer is responsible for the ongoing development and maintenance of various systems used by
the University, including student administration systems and web-based systems. In addition, the incumbent will
make contributions to the transition from existing systems to the University’s new strategic software platforms
including ServiceNow, Salesforce, Adobe Experience Manager, and ERP. The incumbent will work with internal
clients to capture system requirements, implement new software or change existing software, work on data
integration projects, and collaborate with clients to test and fine-tune the software. The incumbent will be expected
to provide guidance and mentoring to other members of the Applications and Development Team.
Reports to: Manager, Applications and Development
• Collaborate with the Manager, Applications and Development and relevant stakeholders in order to understand
• Provide recommendations in assessing and prioritising requests for modifications to systems.
• Provide expertise in all stages of the software development lifecycle including requirements gathering, UI and
database schema design, programming, and user acceptance testing.
• Take a leading role in the development and documentation of user stories, user requirements, and acceptance
• Works closely with the development team to ensure the technical quality of the applications. Take a leading
role in the system testing and user acceptance testing processes.
• Develop proposals for new software, new functionalities, and integration systems.
• Develop new functionality for existing systems, develop new systems, and develop system integration
• Provide expertise in database development including schema design and writing complex SQL queries.
• Participate in Scrum meetings, and make recommendations for planning future development projects.
• Manage change management, build, and deployment processes.
Key Selection Criteria
1. Bachelor degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, or related discipline.
2. At least five years of experience in software development, with at least one year in a lead developer role.
3. Demonstrated experience in all phases of software development such as requirements gathering, system
design, implementation, testing, and deployment.
4. Experience with a broad range of programming languages. Experience with PHP is required. Experience with
desktop application development is desirable.
5. Experience with relational database development, for example with MySQL. Experience developing
applications in Java (ESB) is desirable.
6. Experience developing tests to ensure the quality of the applications.
7. Experience in working with the Scrum or Kanban framework. Prior training in Agile methodologies is a plus.
8. Demonstrated ability to work as part of a team, and contribute to and take responsibility for the team’s
9. Ability to be flexible, in a high pressure environment with changing priorities.
10. Ability to display appropriate behaviours in line with the position, as per the RMIT Behavioural Capability
Framework (Connectedness, Commitment to Excellence – Improve and Simplify; Imagination and Innovation;
Impact; Inclusion; Agility).
English is the language of teaching and communication at our client. For this role, the minimum requirement is
IELTS with a score of at least 6.0 (or equivalent as outlined in the Recruitment and Selection Guidelines).